Day 11.Ventoux
A start in the cool and shade of the morning. An 8 mile ride to the start of the climb, stopping at Malaucene to buy a souvenir cycle top. I can't back down now!
Start the ride in the company of the Canadians, but eventually strike out alone. The climb is bit of a slog. Some steep straight sections in the heat of the sun. Fortunately Isabelle and Rob provide some welcome shady waystations where I could cool down and refuel. Much of the road is bordered by trees, so there is nothing much on the way of scenery until you reach the last section.
The stats.
Some of that arid landscape is scarily dry. But your home for the night looks wonderful
ReplyDeleteIt's the mount ventoux rain shadow. Quite a cool temperature compared with the lower slopes!
DeleteWow! I wasn’t expecting to see snow. I’m having a fantastic French holiday reading your blog and the best bit is I’m not even slightly out of breath lol.. carry on climbing! It looks a fabulous trip.
ReplyDeleteAh, but It's not snow, just bleached white limestone. The Lee side of Ventoux gets very little rain, so nothing really grows!
DeleteWell done Mike…very impressive.Cycling round Kettering will never be quite the same :)
ReplyDeleteClimbing Mont Ventoux was a tremendous achievement. That must have been one of the most satisfying beers you have ever had at the end.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly was!
DeleteIt certainly was!
Delete