Day 8. Sometimes you just need to grit your teeth and do it. Sticky grit experience

As usual, the ride out of St. Flour started with a long climb. Unusually for this trip this was on more of a main road. However, we soon left this to return to the quiet, smooth, tree lined country roads. Generally the road undulated along with some long sweeping descents and occasional long straight climbs. Give me hairpin bends any day!
Bike outside the seminary in the morning shade. 

Our first point of interest was this spectacular bridge designed by Mr Eifle. 
The viaduct du Garabit. 

This followed by a climb out of the valley. 
.. and a descent on the other side of the spur. 

Much of the scenery was either hidden by trees or provided views of fields and distant hills. 

The mid day picnic provided a shady stop off to refuel and rest before the final climb. 
A couple of old gits relaxing with a salad. Ant is a whole year younger, so he's quite a striping compared to yours truly! 

The final section was spoilt by a km long section of wet tar and grit. The grit stuck to tyres, pinged off mudguards, got in shoes and stuck to shirts and legs. Not a pleasant experience, not improved by drivers heading passed at speed. A brief stop to clean grit off wheels, derailleurs followed! 

The last climb of the day was quite hot but the descent to Mende was marvelous. Lots of gentle bends and the occasional hairpin.
Descending through trees.. 

Arrival in Mende! 

The stats.. 

Comments

  1. Your blog is a great read, and I love the photos. How you have the energy, I just don’t know. I hope the hot weather is not taking too much of a toll on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is a great read.
    Terrible about the grit but now that I have real all of today's post, I am very relieved that the grit came up to stick to you. When I read the headline, I thought you had fallen down to meet it on the road!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An old git on a bike

Day 11.Ventoux

Day 14. To the sea!